Dave and Deb are not only married, but bill themselves as Canada’s Adventure Couple. Since 2008, they have lived their motto that “Adventure is for Everyone,” not just those who’ve spent a lifetime preparing and training. They’ve explored over 80 countries across all 7 continents with adventures like Summitting Kilamanjaro, Everest Base Camp, cycling the length of Africa, driving in the Mongol Rally, and that’s just to name a few. Truly the stuff of legend. You can read about it all, book custom tours, and destination advice at ThePlanetD.com.
While they enjoyed their work, they weren’t fulfilled by their careers, and the film industry didn’t thrill them. They both knew they didn’t want to spend the rest of their lives saving for retirement, just to be happy when their 65. They wanted it now.
“Travel was never something we pursued to change ourselves. That just came naturally.”
“I didn’t want to spend the rest of my life saving for retirement, just to be happy when I’m 65. I wanted it now.”
In this episode, we cover…
- How to stop being an armchair traveler and let travel help you enjoy life more
- How a trip to Thailand improved their relationship and changed their lives. And how travel can be a kind of therapy, whether you think you need it or not. Dave and Deb use new and different adventures to keep the spark going.
- How your travels can define you, more than your career, by challenging you to become the best versions of yourself, who you are inside.
- Why they challenge themselves to do things like snowshoe 100 kilometers while pulling all their gear on sleds, using traditional snowshoes and sleeping in a yurt in freezing, sub-zero temperatures.
- Why adventure can be for everyone, not just people with training, and how to crush that mentality. Why Ontario has a lot to offer travelers who seek adventure of all levels
- How to find the best local tour operators, rather than getting stuck on a commercial tour with a hundred people.
Best Travel Advice
- The First Step: Just go, it’s that easy.
- Money Saving Tip or Travel Hack: Hire locals, they charge a fraction of the price. Give something up (your daily latte maybe?) to get something you want.
- Packing: Pack everything you need, then cut it in half. Can you buy things when you’re there?
- Travel Book: Into Thin Air Get this audio book for free at FreeTravelBook.com
- Gear: Belkin SurgePlus 3-Outlet Mini Travel Swivel Charger Surge Protector with Dual USB Ports (2.1 AMP / 10 Watt). Eagle Creek Travel Gear Pack-It Cube Set, Black, One Size. “We should’ve used these years ago!”
- Weirdest Food: Minke Whale Blubber! Or live termites.
Links Mentioned in this Show
Music credit: Intrepid Journey by Aaron Static
Like the show? I’d love a rating and review!
Take action and please share the show! All you have to do is click one of the social sharing buttons at the top of this post.
Also please leave a rating or review in iTunes! It just takes a second and you can help the show increase its rankings on iTunes just by this simple and quick gesture. If you do, click here to let me know so I can personally thank you!
Thank you so much for your support!
See you next time!
Want the secrets of the most successful travel influencers?
Get the best interviews with the most successful travel influencers in one valuable PDF guide. Learn what makes them successful and more.
Plus, we'll send you a few big surprises 🙂