Lillie Marshall is from my hometown of Boston where she taught high school English while spending her summers volunteering in Latin America. In 2012, she took a 9-month career break to finally get out and take that trip to see the world. She went to 8 countries on 3 continents to make travel a bigger priority in her life.
She returned from the experience a changed person and now folds travel into her life wherever possible. She takes students on group trips and participates in teacher tours, while making it to places like China (twice), Greece, India and Belize. Most recently she had her first baby and I’m excited to compare notes with her as she adjusts to traveling with an infant, certainly a new style but by no means an end of anyone’s travel days. Travel is always a choice and I suggest you take it.
What We Cover:
- 2:00 – How Lillie’s love of teaching led her to find a love of solo-travel
- 4:20 – How travel can accelerate your language learning
- 5:15 – What captivates Lillie about travel
- 5:35 – “There is never going to be a ‘right time’ to travel. You’ve just gotta do it.”
- 8:14 – How Lillie dealt with naysayers when she started solo-traveling
- 9:05 – How not having a car in Boston is enough to fund a trip around the world
- 11:00 – Lillie’s advice for anyone on the fence about travel: “Do it! Do it!”
- 12:30 – The best piece of advice Lillie got before she quit her job to travel, and why she didn’t quit.
- 18:00 – Why Lillie never regretted her travels, despite the regrettable experiences. “When you’re doing solo travel, there’s no need to have regrets because you can always change your circumstances.”
- 20:20 – Lillie’s advice for solo-travelers, male or female
- 23:00 – Why being a teacher is the perfect career if you’re a traveler
- 26:30 – Why your travel life is not over when you have a baby, and even improved in a way
- 29:15 – How having a baby forces you to accustom yourself to adjusting, which is always a better way to travel than planning
- 29:50 – How traveling with kids can help you to experience your travels through their eyes
- 36:50 – Breastfeeding and travel, how it can be challenging but also can be something that works for you
- 39:28 – Lillie’s secret to amassing 1,000 Instagram followers in 1 month
Words from an Explorer:
“There is never going to be a right time. You’ve just got to do it.”
More Quotes from Lillie:
“It’s this feeling of being blind and trapped when I’m not traveling. I feel blind because I feel like I’m stuck in this little box. And out there there’s all these things going on and all these colors and all these surprises and new things and I’m being left out of them unless I have the opportunity to get on a plane and walk around in different places.”
“Before traveling, I didn’t want to be here. I couldn’t focus on what was here. It wasn’t until I really gave myself permission to explore everything else that was out there that I could finally open up and meet someone new.”
“Everything that my life is now is so much about having taken that around the world trip. So anyone on the fence about it, do it. Do it.”
“When you’re traveling solo there’s no need to have regrets as long as your safe because you can always just switch your circumstances.”
- Lillie Marshall’s blog, Around the World “L”
- Lillie’s post “Reactions to a RTW Trip, or: Shaddap!”
- Lillie’s post about her negative experience in Barcelona
- Teaching Traveling
- Around the World L on Facebook
- @worldlillie on Twitter
- @worldlillie on Instagram
Like the show? I’d really appreciate a rating and review!
Take action and please share the show! All you have to do is click one of the social sharing buttons at the top of this post.
Also please leave a rating or review on iTunes! It just takes a second and you can help the show increase its rankings on iTunes just by this simple and quick gesture. If you do, click here to let me know so I can personally thank you!
Thank you so much for your support!
See you next time!
Want the secrets of the most successful travel influencers?
Get the best interviews with the most successful travel influencers in one valuable PDF guide. Learn what makes them successful and more.
Plus, we'll send you a few big surprises 🙂